Manitoba

Carbon monoxide caused hotelier's death: examiner

Manitoba's medical examiner has confirmed a businessman in southern Manitoba died of carbon monoxide poisoning last week.

Manitoba's medical examiner has confirmed a businessman in southern Manitoba died of carbon monoxide poisoning last week.

Bill Senderewich, 59, the long-time proprietor of the St. Adolphe Motor Inn, was discovered unconscious Dec. 9 inside the basement of the building, located about 14 kilometres south of Winnipeg.

He was rushed to hospital in Winnipeg where he remained until he died on Dec. 18.

Dr. Thamirajah Balachandra, the province's chief medical examiner, blamed a faulty furnace in the hotel for releasing the odourless, colourless and tasteless gas that is toxic to humans and animals.

The furnace has been shut down by Workplace Safety and Health and won't be turned back on until repairs are made, Balachandra said on Wednesday.

now