Timeline of the Candace Derksen case, Winnipeg teen found dead in 1985

Mark Edward Grant was found not guilty in his second trial for the killing of 13-year-old Winnipeg teen Candace Derksen in 1984.
A photo of the shed where Candace's body was found in January, 1985. (CBC)

Mark Edward Grant was found not guilty in his second trial  in the killing of 13-year-old Winnipeg teen Candace Derksen in 1984.

The decision reversed a 2011 verdict that found him guilty, and means Candace Derksen's death is once again unsolved.

Here is a timeline of the decades-long case:

Nov. 7, 1984: Grant escapes from custody after serving time for a break and enter.

Nov. 30, 1984: Candace disappears on her way home from school.

Candace Derksen, seen in an undated file photo, was found bound and frozen in a shed in Winnipeg in early 1985. (Family photo)

Dec. 7, 1984: Grant arrested by police on unrelated charges but questioned about Candace's disappearance.

Jan. 17, 1985: Candace's body is found in an industrial storage shed not far from her house. She had been tied up and left to freeze to death.

Sept. 6, 1985: A woman walking her dog finds and rescues another girl, 12, tied up in a similar way to Candace in a boxcar along the CP railway tracks near Chalmers Avenue.

2001: RCMP test the twine used to bind Candace, as well as hair found at the scene, but results are inconclusive.

2007: A private lab, Molecular World in Thunder Bay, Ont., tests the twine and hair again.

May 16, 2007: Police charge Mark Edward Grant, who has a long criminal record, with first-degree murder based on a DNA match.

Jan. 17, 2011: Grant's murder trial begins, 26 years to the day after Candace's body was found.

Feb. 18, 2011: A jury finds Grant guilty of second-degree murder.

Oct. 30, 2013: The Manitoba Court of Appeal overturns Grant's conviction. It says the trial judge erred in not allowing the defence to present evidence that pointed to another possible killer — an unidentified man who tied up the second girl in 1985 while Grant was in custody.

March 20, 2015: The Supreme Court of Canada upholds the Appeal Court ruling. The Crown announces later in 2015 it will seek a new trial against Grant.

Jan. 16, 2017: A second trial before judge alone begins for Grant on a charge of second-degree murder — one day shy of the 32nd anniversary of Candace's body being found.

Oct. 18, 2017: Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench Justice Karen Simonsen finds Grant not guilty, saying she accepted the defence argument that DNA evidence in the case against Grant was "fundamentally flawed." Grant is released later that day, and the case is unsolved once again.

with files from CBC News