Brandon store fire deemed not suspicious
An overheated air compressor is to blame for a massive fire that destroyed the Sturgeon Tire building in Brandon, Man., this week, according to investigators.
The blaze, which happened Monday evening on First Street near Rosser Avenue, has been determined to be not suspicious, police announced on Wednesday.
Insp. Richard McCurry told CBC News that an air compressor in the building overheated and short-circuited.
McCurry said he hopes the incident serves as a lesson to garages to take extra precautions.
"Make sure that every night, when you leave the shop, that the air compressor is shut down," he said.
"Make sure that you maintain the air compressor properly."
No one was in the building when the fire started.
Fire officials estimate damages to be in excess of $1 million.