Teen arrested in shooting death of Joselito Fernandez
Winnipeg police say Fernandez was robbed and shot near Selkirk Avenue on April 18
A 16-year-old is in police custody after the fatal shooting of 53-year-old Joselito Fernandez earlier this month.
Police say Fernandez was confronted at gunpoint near rail tracks off Selkirk Avenue on April 18, where he was shot and robbed.
They say the suspect and victim weren't known to each other.
A 16-year-old Winnipeg boy has been charged with second-degree murder in the incident, as well as charges of failure to comply with conditions and possession of a firearm/ammunition despite a prohibition order.
Police say they located the teen near Redwood Avenue and Battery Street Friday evening and took him into custody, where he remains.
Fernandez's two daughters and extended family members are grappling with the loss of the kind, quiet man who came to Canada nearly 30 years ago.
Daughter Judy Cook said she's still in shock. News of the arrest came as a relief, but she still has questions about what happened to her father.
"It puts me at ease, but ... it does kind of get me angry. I'm just full of emotion," Cook said. "It was senseless for him being robbed, because he didn't have anything on him. It's still unfortunate."