Manitoba

Abducted children still missing one year later

Winnipeg police released new information Wednesday on a year-old child abduction case involving Dominic Maryk, 8, and his sister, Abby, 6, who went on a court-sanctioned vacation with their father but never returned to their mother.
Abby Maryk, age 6, has been missing since Sept. 1.
Winnipeg police issued additional arrest warrants Wednesday in a year-old child abduction case.          

A Canada-wide warrant on abduction counts was issued last September for Kevin Maryk, who left the Manitoba capital on a court-sanctioned vacation with his two children, eight-year-old Dominic Maryk and his six-year-old sister, Abby.

The three were last seen at a car rental agency in Winnipeg almost a year ago.

Child Find Manitoba said recently the three are rumoured to be in Mexico.

Wednesday, police said they believe the father also has his 20-year-old nephew, Cody McKay, with him. A Canada-wide warrant has been issued for McKay alleging two counts of conspiracy to commit an indictable offence. McKay disappeared at the same time as Kevin Maryk and the two youngsters.

Dominic Maryk, age 8, went missing the same day. Authorities allege the children's father abducted them.
The children were to have been returned to their mother, Emily Cablek, in September last year. She has legal custody of the youngsters.

Instead, police found Maryk's apartment had been cleared out and the car he had rented was overdue for return.

At a news conference Wednesday, Cablek called on McKay to come forward and co-operate with authorities.

"Cody's always been a really good kid," she said. "I know he loves my kids. It's two pieces of my life missing, and I just want them back."

Cablek met her ex-husband in 1999 when she was 17. They began a rocky relationship that ended two years ago.

Cablek won full custody of the children in January 2008, but court documents from the dispute outline a troubled relationship and a battle over custody.

Police said they are requesting help from the public throughout Canada and the United States in the case. They said they believe the children are no longer in the province and will use YouTube and the TV program America's Most Wanted to get their message out.

now