10 things you'll see at The Forks in the next 20 years
What about a residential village and a pedestrian promenade? You got it.
This week, the Forks Renewal Corporation announced its 20-year plan to redevelop nearly five hectares of land currently used as parking lots.
They introduced, or in some cases reintroduced, 10 concepts that will change the iconic Winnipeg landmark over the next two decades. The plans include residences, rapid transit and an elevated pedestrian walk way, among other things.
- New Forks bike path will connect St. Boniface to Osborne Village
- 'World-class' micro brewery coming to The Forks
The development of the following 10 concepts hinges on funds from the province and federal government.
"Some of them are quite bold. We're looking at an elevated highline very similar to one that's in New York. We're looking at a community center, a residential village," MacKay said.
The future of the Forks includes:
- Residential village at the Forks
- Public Art
- Production Spaces / Storefronts
- Rapid Transit Hub at Union Station
- Highline - Elevated Pedestrian Corridor
- Pedestrian Promenade
- Target Zero
- Community Facilities
- Best in Local + Independent Retail
- More of The Forks