London

Smoke alarm credited with saving the life of a London woman

Fire officials say a working smoking alarm saved the life of a London woman Thursday evening.

Fire officials say the woman had fallen asleep while smoking but was roused by the detector

Fire officials say a London woman owes her live to a working smoke alarm. The woman had fallen asleep while her mattress caught fire but was awakened by the detector, and managed to escape. (Andrew Lupton/CBC)

Fire officials say a working smoking alarm saved the life of a London woman Thursday evening.

Crews responded to a fire in a multi-unit building at 652 King Street near Adelaide Street at around 9:30 p.m. The fire broke out while a woman was sleeping.

"She had fallen asleep, apparently smoking, and the bed had caught fire," said Platoon Chief Shawn Fitzgerald, adding the woman was awakened by a smoke alarm and was able to escape.

The smoke alarm "absolutely saved a life last night," he said.

The woman was treated at hospital for smoke inhalation and released. Damage to the unit is estimated at $25,000.

Fire officials urge smokers to never smoke in bed.

"If you're going to smoke before going to bed, sit in a chair, walk around, but don't go to bed and smoke," said Fitzgerald.

The Platoon Chief also reminds residents of houses, apartments and townhouses to ensure that all smoke detectors are in working order and that the batteries are in good condition.

now