See who's now eligible for COVID-19 vaccines in the London region
Seniors in their 80s, Indigenous adults over the age of 55 and many additional healthcare workers are next in line for vaccinations in the London region.
Appointment bookings are available Monday for Indigenous people, and starting Tuesday for seniors. Healthcare workers in specific workplaces can expect to receive notice directly from their employer.
The expanded eligibility extends to people living in areas covered by the Middlesex London Health Unit (MLHU), Southwestern Public Health and Huron Perth Public Health.
"Being able to vaccinate our highest risk citizens is an exciting step," says Dr. Chris Mackie, Medical Officer of Health at the MLHU.
Healthcare workers who now qualify for a vaccine:
- Staff and essential caregivers in long-term care homes, high-risk retirement homes and First Nations elder care homes, and any residents of these settings that have not yet received a first dose of vaccine.
- Alternative level of care patients in hospitals who have a confirmed admission to a long-term care home, retirement home or other congregate care home for seniors.
- Frontline healthcare workers working in hospital inpatient settings and hospital procedural areas, including surgical care, obstetrics, endoscopy, operating rooms, dialysis, imaging, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. Other ambulatory and out-patient care areas are not included at this time.
- Residents and staff in other congregate care settings for seniors, including assisted living facilities.
- Hospital and acute care healthcare workers in frontline roles with COVID-19 patients and/or with a high-risk of exposure to COVID-19.
- Patient-facing healthcare workers involved in the COVID-19 response.
- Medical first responders, including paramedics, police and firefighters who are engaged in medical first response
- Patient-facing community healthcare workers serving specialized populations.
- Other ambulatory and out-patient care areas are not included at this time.
The health units in the London region will continue to use their own booking system, and not one being tested by the province.
Access to the local portal can be found at covidvaccinelm.ca.