London-region surpasses 3K COVID-19 cases with 86 new positives reported Monday

Middlesex-London hit the grim new milestone after 86 more COVID-19 cases and one more death was reported Monday.

86 more cases Monday brings total number of positives to 3,006 in the London-region

A healthcare worker returns from break at University Hospital in London, Ont. (Colin Butler/CBC)

There have now been more than 3,000 cases of COVID-19 in the London-region since the pandemic began. 

There were 86 new cases of the virus and one new death reported Monday, according to data from the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU). That means there have been a total of 3,006 cases and 99 deaths.

Monday's case count is the third highest the region has seen. There were 88 new cases reported Dec. 23 and 87 new cases reported Dec. 19. 

The latest death was a man in his 60s. The MLHU said he was not linked to a long-term care or retirement home. 

According to public health data, there have been 2,361 recoveries from the virus. That means 546 cases are considered active. 

Several hospital outbreaks resolved

There's only one ongoing outbreak of COVID-19 left at each Victoria Hospital and at University Hospital, according to London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC). 

At University Hospital, an outbreak in the clinical neurosciences unit was resolved Monday, an outbreak in the palliative care and sub-acute medicine unit was resolved Christmas Day and an outbreak in the cardiology unit was resolved Dec. 24. 

The hospital's general medicine unit continues to battle an outbreak. 

LHSC is no longer providing a running total of COVID-19 cases associated with past outbreaks at University Hospital. However, it said a total of 50 patients and 52 staff associated with the ongoing general medicine unit outbreak had tested positive for the virus and 13 people had died.

At Victoria Hospital, LHSC said an outbreak in the acute medicine unit was resolved Dec. 24 and there was an ongoing outbreak in the burns and plastics unit. Fewer than five staff and five patients have tested positive as result of the current outbreak, and no one has died.