5 new COVID-19 cases in London area Monday, no deaths
Middlesex-London is poised to move to the yellow zone next week
- Ontario reported another 1,058 cases of COVID-19 and 11 deaths on Monday.
- Middlesex-London on track to move to the yellow zone of provincial framework.
- The seven-day average case count for the London region is down to 10.
What's the latest for Middlesex-London?
The Middlesex London Health Unit (MLHU) posted five new cases of COVID-19 Monday and no deaths.
The number of known active cases in the region is at 103. Since Friday, there have been 31 new infections and 60 recoveries.
There hasn't been a COVID-related death reported since Feb. 13. There have been 181 deaths in the region since the pandemic began.
Region on track to easing restrictions
London Mayor Ed Holder says by-law officials inspected multiple premises over the weekend, which were complaint with COVID-19 restrictions, and no charges were laid.
"I think that's representative of what we've been seeing in our community for several weeks now," said Holder. "We continue to see a downward trend in our daily case counts and seems very likely, as a result, we'll have entered the right to enter a less restrictive tier by this time next week."
Holder said that while moving to less restrictions is welcomed; every one must still take measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
"We are in the red; we're on track to move to a lower level of restriction, hopefully by Monday," said Dr. Chris Mackie, the medical officer of health for the MLHU. "Looking at the numbers right now, according to the provincial framework that put us in the yellow [zone]."
If the region moves to the yellow zone of the provincial framework, an announcement would be made on Friday and take effect on March 1.
There have been 409 cases of COVID-19 reported in Middlesex-London so far in February.
The majority of cases were among people in their 20s, with 94 cases. The demographic with the fewest cases were people over 80.
COVID-19 across the region and beyond
Southwestern Public Health, which oversees Elgin-Oxford, reported no new cases of COVID-19 and no deaths Monday. There were four new cases and two deaths reported over the weekend. The region now has 40 ongoing cases.
There were 15 new cases reported by Huron Perth Public Health, including seven in Stratford. There are now 29 active cases in the region.
Meanwhile, there were 1,058 cases of COVID-19 across Ontario, along with 11 more deaths.
York Region joined the red control zone Monday, while a stay-at-home order remains in effect in Toronto, Peel and North Bay-Parry Sound until at least March 8.