More than 10K people vaccinated for COVID-19 as region reports 132 new cases
Region tops 8,000 cases with 2,189 in January alone
More than 10,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been administered in Waterloo region as of Friday, officials announced.
Shirley Hilton, deputy chief for the Waterloo Regional Police Service and head of the region's vaccine distribution task force, says the plan is to have all people in the region's long-term care homes inoculated within the next two weeks.
By the end of Friday, Hilton said people living in 20 different homes will have been given the vaccine.
As of Thursday, 10,168 vaccinations have been given, Hilton said. That includes people who have received their second dose of the vaccine.
The vaccine clinic at the Grand River Hospital will be closed until Tuesday, Hilton noted, "in order to vaccinate as many long-term care and retirement home residents as possible with the supply we currently have."
"Another vaccine delivery is anticipated next week, which will allow the team to continue using the supply as it comes in," she said.
132 new cases
Meanwhile, Region of Waterloo Public Health reported 132 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday. That brings the total number of cases in January to 2,189 and since last March to 8,088.
There are 1,045 active cases with 37 people in hospital and 20 people in the intensive care unit. The hospitalized numbers include people who have been brought into hospitals in the region from other parts of the province.
There were no new deaths linked to the virus reported Friday.
Ontario reported another 2,998 cases of COVID-19 Friday, as well 100 additional deaths of people with the illness.
42 active outbreaks
There are 42 active outbreaks in the region, including 18 in long-term care or retirement homes.
An outbreak at Conestoga Meats rose to 95 cases.
There are also seven outbreaks at congregate settings: One with 19 cases, one with 14 cases, one with eight cases, one with three cases and three with a single case.
Other outbreaks include:
- Five at manufacturing workplaces: One with 20 cases, one with 12 cases, one with six cases, one with three cases and one with two cases.
- Three at food and beverage service workplaces: One with four cases, one with three cases and one with two cases.
- One at a farm with four cases.
- One at Waterloo Regional Police Services north division with three cases.
- One at Region of Waterloo Paramedics north division with three cases.
- One at an automobile sales and services workplace with three cases.
- One at a retail store with two cases.
- One at an independent living facility with one case in a staff member.
- One at Grand River Hospital in the mental health unit.