Kitchener-Waterloo

Ray of Hope loses open custody program for male youth in the region

Ray of Hope is dealing with the loss of its open custody youth detention program for boys and young men who have been in conflict with the law, after the provincial government deemed the program underutilized.

Fewer facilities mean youth may have to serve time away from home in the future, CEO says

A local program meant for male youth who have been in conflict with the law has shut down. The open detention and custody program operated by Ray of Hope provided eight beds and supports for youth ages 12 to 17 while in custody or awaiting sentencing. (Google Street View)

Ray of Hope is dealing with the loss of a youth detention program meant for male youth who have been in conflict with the law.

The organization's open detention and custody program, formerly known as Hope Harbour, shut down earlier this week — along with 26 youth detention programs across Ontario — after the provincial government deemed the programs underutilized.

Ray of Hope was informed by the Ministry of Children, Community, and Social Services (MCCSS) on March 1 that the program was to be closed.

"It's been talked about for a little while that the open custody programs were underutilized in the province, so it wasn't a big surprise, but it's still a shock when it's your program that is one of them being closed," said Tonya Verburg, CEO of Ray of Hope. 

"The biggest shock was we had inklings that there was going to be closures in the last year, but we weren't sure it would happen during the pandemic."

The open detention and custody program at Ray of Hope provided eight beds and reintegration supports, as well as mental health and addiction services for youth ages 12 to 17 who were sentenced to open custody or were awaiting sentencing, usually for lesser crimes, Verburg said.

Those involved in more serious crimes are typically sentenced to secure custody.

"Ray of hope becomes the custodial provider for these youth who have been in conflict with the law. Whether it's open or secure depends on the charges and their sentence and the level of security that is needed for the youth," she said.

Twenty-two staff have been laid off as a result of the closure; the youth under Ray of Hope's care have been moved to another local open detention and custody program, Verburg said.

"For those youth to make that transition is like starting over. New people, new program new expectation, so hopefully it doesn't impact their progress" she said.

Program underutilized: MCCSS

Ray of Hope's open detention and custody program only had a utilization rate of 32 per cent during the 2019-2020 fiscal year, according to an email MCCSS sent to CBC Kitchener-Waterloo.

"A focus on prevention and education programs has contributed to an 81 per cent reduction of youth admitted to custody and detention in Ontario since 2004 -2005," MCCSS said.

"As a result, our government inherited a number of facilities that were significantly underused."

MCCSS said it will continue to fund the Ray of Hope's secure custody and detention program, adding it will also continue to fund or operate 27 youth justice facilities and programs across the province.

Fewer open detention and custody facilities in the province could mean that youth have to serve time in a facility away from home, which can present challenges, Verburg said.

"Especially if they have really great family and friend support, if family can't travel to visit them or to make those arrangements, it could mean that they are cut off from some family members," she said.

"There's always video chat and phone calls, and it all depends on their situation, whether they can have family contact or not, but it does impact people if they are moved out of region."

now