Fire destroys OPP detachment in Cambridge

A fire has destroyed an Ontario Provincial Police detachment in Cambridge.

Everyone got out of the building safely, OPP detachment commander says

The OPP detachment in Cambridge was badly burned in a fire on Tuesday afternoon. (Peggy Lam/CBC)

A fire has destroyed an Ontario Provincial Police detachment in Cambridge.

The blaze broke out Tuesday afternoon at the detachment on Beaverdale Road near Hespeler Road and Highway 401. 

Const. Lauren Ball with Cambridge OPP said staff inside the building were alerted by 2 p.m. that there was smoke and visible flames coming from the roof.

"It is devastating," said Ball. "We respond to emergencies every day ... but when it's your own workplace — and for a lot of us it's our second home — it's surreal."  

Ball thinks there were approximately five to six people in the building at the time of the fire. 

When they were notified, the building was evacuated and officers and civilians all "made it out safe," she said. 

Fire and emergency crews were on scene into Tuesday evening, extinguishing hot spots at 5 p.m. By that time, the roof had completely collapsed and firefighters could be seen spraying the fire from above using cranes. 

"The important thing right now is that everyone's safe. All personnel got out without any kind of issues. We're continuing with our operations here," said Detachment Commander Staff Sgt. John Mraud.

"We have contingency plans in place, so it shouldn't have any impact on the public. In the meantime, we will muddle through," he added.

Mraud said in a video posted to Twitter that he was inside the building when it caught fire. He went outside and saw flames coming from the back corner of the roof.

They called 911 to get fire officials on the scene, and the building was evacuated.

"They're our brothers and sisters and they were here right away," said Mraud.

People who need to contact the Cambridge OPP are advised to contact the Milton OPP detachment, according to OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt, who called it a "devastating day" for OPP members at the detachment.

The detachment opened in 1986.