11 people displaced after early morning fire at Kitchener townhouse
Light fixture in one unit identified as cause of the fire, platoon chief says
Almost a dozen people have been forced from their homes after an early morning fire at a townhouse complex on Belmont Avenue in Kitchener.
Fire crews were called to the complex just before 4 a.m. on Friday and found heavy smoke and visible flames coming from one of the units.
Eighteen people were evacuated from several nearby units and were kept warm on a Grand River Transit bus, said Platoon Chief Doug Voisin.
Most of the residents have since returned to their homes, but 11 people are now displaced from two units, including the unit where the fire was located. Voisin said the Red Cross is helping the affected residents.
The cause of the fire was a light fixture over a sink. Voisin noted it was an older building with copper wiring.
The damage is estimated at $150,000.