Premier Kathleen Wynne taps the Oktoberfest keg
Premier Kathleen Wynne has been selected to tap the keg at Friday's opening ceremony of the 49th annual Oktoberfest celebrations.
This is Wynne's third appearance at the opening ceremonies.
Each year, the honour is bestowed upon a chosen dignitary. Last year, it was Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
CBC K-W carried the event live.
For the first time, the Oktoberfest opening ceremonies are being held in the middle of King Street in downtown Kitchener, instead of in front of city hall.
King Street will remain closed all day Friday, as a concert series follows the opening ceremonies, featuring:
- Romeo Sex Fighter from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Bavarian Oktoberfest Music from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The Silence Factory from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Skye Wallace from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Dwayne Gretzky from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.