Delays, detours and a region waiting for the Ion LRT
The first LRT vehicle arrived in 2017, but region residents won't be riding the rails until 2018
Most of the Ion LRT detour signs came down in Waterloo region this past year and there was anticipation of the first train arriving to signal the project turning a new corner.
While waiting for the trains to arrive and testing to begin, drivers started to notice changes on the roads with newly laid tracks and LRT stations that were slowly coming together.
The final step in the first stage of light rail will come in 2018, when all the trains arrive and commuters start buying tickets and passes to ride the Ion.
Followers to twitter were able to track the arrival of the first train to the region. Residents also had a chance to tour that vehicle when it arrived at the Ion facility in Waterloo.
- Tracking the first ION train? Twitter is tops for updates
- Tour the new ION vehicle in this 1-minute video
The very first <a href="https://twitter.com/BombardierRail">@BombardierRail</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FLEXITY?src=hash">#FLEXITY</a> Freedom LRV is in Alliston, ON! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IONtracker?src=hash">#IONtracker</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> Cc: <a href="https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14">@tomjgalloway14</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CTVKitchener">@CTVKitchener</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo">@RegionWaterloo</a> <a href="https://t.co/LlZf5SINZL">pic.twitter.com/LlZf5SINZL</a>—@Canardiain
Like it or not, construction of the LRT means the arrival of new business to the area, according to studies and developers who are investing along the corridor.
- Waterloo Region's LRT project issues not so bad: Pembina report
- LRT 'opportunity of a lifetime' for housing diversity, says expert
- Value of new builds along LRT corridor worth $2.1B, says Region of Waterloo
Despite delays and paperwork issues testing on the Ion trains eventually began.
- Second LRT vehicle delivery delayed to late August at earliest
- King Street and Victoria intersection will open for traffic Friday afternoon
- 3 LRT vehicles to be delivered to Waterloo region before Thanksgiving
- Anticipated LRT testing postponed due to missing paperwork
- 'Everything was positive,' ION light rail car completes first testing