Arson charges for Guelph-Eramosa man for suspicious fires in Wellington county
Man, 28, charged with six counts of arson from fires set on four different days
A 28-year-old man from Guelph-Eramosa Township has been charged with six counts of arson for fires at abandoned rural homes and buildings.
The man is accused of setting fires:
- Oct. 14, 2016 to a house on Third Line in Guelph-Eramosa.
- Oct. 19, 2016 to a house on Third Line in Guelph-Eramosa.
- Feb. 3 to a shed on Highway 7 west of Guelph.
- Feb. 3 to a house and barn on Township Road 3 west of Guelph.
- June 25 to a shed on Wellington Road 125 in Erin.
- June 25 to a house on Sideroad 27 in Erin.
Rockwood & Puslinch, Guelph & Centre Wellington on scene @ house fire in Guelph Eramosa twp. <a href="https://twitter.com/WellyAdvertiser">@WellyAdvertiser</a> <a href="https://t.co/sPAZnvbik3">pic.twitter.com/sPAZnvbik3</a>—@karnwt1
Joshua Cunningham, media relations officer at Wellington County OPP, told CBC News the investigation is one of the larger ones that police have conducted in recent times.
"We're very pleased to have arrested someone and held someone responsible for these fires," he said.
Police said the investigation continues. The man has been released on bail.
Since September 2016 there have been at least 20 suspicious fires on rural properties in Wellington County. Police did not say if they suspect the same person is responsible for all the fires.