Kitchener-Waterloo

Guelph General Hospital says ward has outbreak of COVID-19

There has been an outbreak of COVID-19 on a ward at Guelph General Hospital, according to a joint news release sent Thursday by the hospital and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.

5 people connected to ward 4E tested positive, says medical officer of health

Guelph General Hospital CEO says four healthcare workers have tested positive for COVID-19. (Francois Lenoir/Reuters)

An outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared on a ward at Guelph General Hospital, according to a joint news release from the hospital and Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health.

The outbreak happened on ward 4E, which is a medical ward, according to hospital CEO Marianne Walker. 

Five people connected to the ward have tested positive, Nicola Mercer, medical officer of health with WDG Public Health told CBC News.

Four of the people who tested positive were healthcare workers — that includes the two healthcare workers who were identified earlier this week. 

'There will be more'

Walker said she expects "there will be more" positive cases.

"We will work with Public Health to identify those who are at risk and contact them immediately," she said in the release.

Hospital and public health officials are contacting staff and patients who may have had contact with COVID-19 while at the hospital, the release said.

Officials continue to urge people to wash their hands often and stay at home as much as possible, "and don't visit the hospital unless it is absolutely necessary," the release stated.

now