Kitchener-Waterloo

8 cases of COVID-19 identified in Waterloo region

According to the Ministry of Health, two new cases of COVID-19 have been identified as of Sunday morning.

Two new cases of COVID-19 identified as of Sunday morning

Signs like this one are posted at municipal buildings throughout Waterloo region reminding people on how to stop the spread of germs during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Kate Bueckert/CBC)

Two new cases of COVID-19 have been identified in Waterloo region as of Sunday morning, bringing the total number of cases in the region to eight.

Case number seven is a man in his 60s who was tested at St. Mary's General Hospital, said the region's acting medical officer of health Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang Sunday. The man is a close contact of one of the region's earlier cases, she said.

Case number eight is a man in his 20s who was also tested at St. Mary's General Hospital, Dr. Wang said. Both individuals are self-isolating, she said. 

Further information about the two new cases is expected Monday morning. 

Data provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health, as of 10:30 a.m. March 15
Negative 7004
Currently under investigation 1316
Confirmed positive 137
Resolved 5
Total number of patients approved for COVID-19 testing to date 8462

Details of sixth case released Saturday

As of Saturday morning, provincial health authorities had confirmed six cases of COVID-19 coronavirus in Waterloo region.

The sixth person is a man in his 50s, who is the spouse of a woman who became sick after returning home from a cruise in Puerto Rico earlier this month. She was the second case in the region.

The man went to St. Mary's Hospital in Kitchener for testing. He is currently is in self-isolation at home.

The province publishes new updates twice a day, morning and afternoon, on its website.

Also announced Saturday, is a positive case from Huron Perth Public Health

Patient on cruise

A man in his 40s was the fifth person with coronavirus in Waterloo region. Health officials have issued a warning to people who may have come into contact with him while he was on a cruise and a flight from Fort Lauderdale on March 6.

Region of Waterloo Public Health says the man was on board the Celebrity Silhouette cruise that left Fort Lauderdale on February 23. The cruise made stops in: St Croix, Antigua and Barbuda, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, St Vincent and The Grenadines, and St Kitts and Nevis.

The man developed symptoms on March 1.

The cruise ended on March 6 in Fort Lauderdale and the man then flew from Fort Lauderdale to Toronto Pearson International Airport on Air Transat Flight 571 on March 6.

"Flight passengers in rows 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 are asked to self-isolate for 14 days," public health said in a release Friday night. "All other passengers on the flight are asked to self-monitor for symptoms and call their local public health unit if they develop symptoms."

The man contacted public health on March 10 and went to St. Mary's Hospital in Kitchener for testing. He was told to self-isolate.

"He is being monitored by public health staff," the region said.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.