Kitchener-Waterloo

3D Printer causes fire at Guelph condo

A 3D printer caused a fire at a Guelph condo building and led to water damage for several units, according to the Guelph Fire Department.

Fire caused water damage to the building and displaced several tenants, police said

A 3D printer overheated and started a fire at 1291 Gordon Street in Guelph, police said. (Google Street View)

A 3D printer caused a fire at a Guelph condo building, leading to water damage for several units and displacing tenants, according to the Guelph Fire Department.

Police got the call just after 11 p.m. on Thursday.

The fire and smoke were coming from a bedroom on the fifth floor at 1291 Gordon Street. That's where a 3D printer had overheated and started the fire, police said. 

"It was determined 100 per cent the 3D printer was the source. It's the only ignition source in the room," said Ian Hickey, fire prevention officer with the Guelph fire department.

The building was evacuated, the fire was extinguished quickly, but the sprinkler system caused water damage for all units below, including on the ground level, according to police.

A number of tenants were displaced because of the water damage. Guelph Hydro-Alectra arrived on the scene because of the water's impact on the electrical system, police said.

now