Khadr plea talks involve Clinton: report
Cannon official denies foreign affairs minister is 'closely involved'
More details are emerging about a possible plea bargain in the works for Omar Khadr as reports circulate that U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is personally involved in the negotiations.
Citing confidential sources, the Cable News Network on Wednesday said Canadian government officials were also "closely involved" in the plea bargain talks, and that Clinton was scheduled to call Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon on Wednesday night.
Foreign Affairs, however, said the CNN story is wrong. A spokesman for Cannon said the two have not spoken to each other about a plea, adding the minister is currently on a visit to China.
The department said the Khadr case is being sorted out between the prosecution and defence and that it would be improper for Foreign Affairs to get involved other than on a consular basis.
Last week, several media outlets reported that Khadr's lawyers and his military prosecutors were negotiating a plea bargain that would see the 24-year-old Canadian plead guilty to murder, and other terrorism offences, and be sentenced to eight years in prison.
It's reported that under the proposed deal, he would serve seven of those years in Canada.
Nate Whitling, Khadr's Canadian lawyer in Edmonton, told CBC News last week that a potential deal is in the works but he couldn't comment on the details.
Toronto-born Khadr was captured in Afghanistan in 2002 when he was 15 and has since been held at the U.S. military base at Guantanamo Bay. He is the first person in more than 60 years to face a U.S. military tribunal for crimes allegedly committed as a minor.