Hamilton

Unattended cooking sparks fire, causes $375,000 damage to home

Red Cross came to help the home's residents find a place to stay.

'There was a pot that was left on the stove unattended and the people had gone out': Hamilton fire

A fire caused by unattended cooking ripped through an east-end home Sunday evening, causing $375,000 in damage.

Hamilton fire crews were called around 5:30 p.m. to the home. There were no injuries. Red Cross Canada was called to help the residents find a place to stay.

The fire was called in when neighbours noticed smoke coming from the house, said fire spokesman Claudio Mostacci. A pot had been left on the stove and forgotten about, he said.

"There was a pot that was left on the stove unattended and the people had gone out," Mostacci said. 

Firefighters encountered a "fairly intense" fire when they got inside and were actually called out because it was so hot, Mostacci said. Crews poked some holes in walls and the roof from the outside to vent the fire and then crews were allowed to go back in. 

The fire was out by 6:37 p.m.

now