Suspect arrested in fatal stabbing of man celebrating Raptors win

A GoFundMe campaign for the victim Tyquan Brown describes him as someone who was "intelligent, thoughtful and hilariously comical." He was stabbed Friday.

Dylon Moniz Duarte, 20, was taken into custody Saturday afternoon

A large stretch of Sherman Avenue at Barton Street was closed off Friday as police investigated the stabbing. (Adam Carter/CBC)

Police have arrested Dylon Moniz Duarte for the death of Tyquan Brown, who was fatally stabbed while celebrating the Toronto Raptors' game one win of the NBA finals Friday.

Brown, 23, was with a group of friends outside a home on Sherman Avenue North around 12:30 a.m. when police say Duarte showed up and stabbed him because he was unhappy an ex-girlfriend was hanging out with the basketball fans.

"This male confronted the group over a female who was partying with them, and all of a sudden produced a knife and stabbed a 23-year-old male who was part of the group," Det. Sgt. Peter Thom told reporters at the scene Friday morning.

The two men did not know each other, according to police.

Investigators say Brown's friends chased Duarte while Brown wandered down the street and collapsed in an alley north of Barton Street East. He later died at Hamilton General Hospital.

Death described as a 'devastating tragedy'

A GoFundMe campaign set up by a woman named Tessa Ambrose says Brown was working in construction and describes his death as a "devastating tragedy."

He's survived by his mother, his siblings his girlfriend Cintia and friends.

Hamilton police say detectives are continuing to investigate the city's fifth homicide this year. (Adam Carter/CBC)

"He was greatly intelligent, thoughtful and hilariously comical," the campaign reads. "His spirit not only lifted people up, but inspired them to take on the same perspective."

A first-degree murder warrant was issued for Duarte and police say he was arrested around 3 p.m. Saturday while getting into a cab near the corner of Grandville and Delawana Avenues.

The 20-year-old is scheduled to appear in court this morning.

Police say the murder weapon has not been recovered. They're continuing their investigation and say detectives will be gathering surveillance footage from the scene in the coming days.

"Investigators wish to acknowledge the assistance they received from the many witnesses, both at the scene of the murder and where the get-away car was dumped," the service stated in a media release. "Their evidence was crucial in solving this case."