Fire at Stoney Creek seniors' building will cost millions to fix, chief says

Hamilton firefighters extinguished a three-alarm structure fire that caused significant damage including partial roof collapse.

No injuries, but 25 residents stayed in local hotel

Hamilton firefighters are responding to a fire at a senior's home in Stoney Creek. (Hamilton Fire)

Hamilton's fire chief says it will likely cost millions of dollars to fix a seniors' building in lower Stoney Creek after a three-alarm structure fire on Wednesday evening.

Dave Cunliffe says the first report of the fire came in just before 7 p.m. Wednesday at 110 Stoney Brook Dr. between Westbury Avenue and Gateshead Crescent.

First responders reported seeing heavy smoke and flames from the upper floor of Stoney Brook Manor.

The seniors' apartment complex, Cunliffe said, has two wings with three storeys and 30 apartment units in each wing. The fire started in the most westerly wing, he said, and quickly spread "with flames breaking through the roof."

First responders began evacuating the building and more than 50 firefighters try to control the blaze.

"Given the rapidly spreading fire conditions, three aerial ladders were utilized to help extinguish the flames," Cunliffe said in an email on Wednesday night. 

"Through the tremendous efforts of the firefighting crews, the blaze was brought under control within 30 to 40 minutes."

Former Hamilton mayor Larry Di Ianni shared videos and photos on Twitter Wednesday evening as firefighters fought the flames and residents were moved to safety on the lawn.

Cunliffe said as of 11 p.m. Wednesday, there were no reports of injuries to any of the residents or firefighters.

The fire damaged five of the 30 units in the westerly wing, while smoke and water damaged 13 more, he said.

Residents in the easterly block returned to their apartments after power was restored, while at least 25 residents stayed in a local hotel.

"The westerly wing has sustained significant damage including partial roof collapse," Cunliffe said.

The Ontario Fire Marshal's Office was called in to investigate, but the cause of the fire is still unknown.