Rosslyn retirement home accounts for a third of COVID-19 deaths in Hamilton
42 people in Hamilton have died of the virus so far, 14 of whom lived at the home
Residents of the Rosslyn Retirement Residence now account for a third of all COVID-19 deaths in Hamilton.
Fourteen people out of the 42 who have died of the virus in Hamilton so far lived at the privately-owned home near Gage Park. It's the site of the deadliest outbreak in the city.
The most recent death was that of a 68-year-old man who passed away in hospital on June 8, according to public health.
The majority of the Rosslyn's residents were transported to hospital when the home was evacuated on May 15 amid an outbreak that infected all but two of the 66 residents and 22 staff members.
Inspections by public health and the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) revealed issues around infection prevention and control along with "failure to protect residents from neglect."
A more recent probe uncovered mouse droppings, black mould and "fuzzy dust" in the home's kitchen and resulted in it being closed.
The Rosslyn has not responded to repeated calls and emails asking questions about the conditions at the home, the outbreak or resident deaths.
During a media update Tuesday Dr. Elizabeth Richardson, Hamilton's medical officer of health, said the issues with the kitchen have since been corrected.
However it's still not clear when the home, which is associated with the Martino family, will be able to reopen. It's a question that's troubling for the loved ones of residents who remain in hospital and wonder where they'll go once they recover if the Rosslyn remains shuttered.
"At this point, we do have outstanding orders that are in place, as well, there are additional requirements that may be there related to the Retirement Home Regulatory Authority," said Richardson. "We're continuing to review and monitor the situation along with the RHRA."
On Wednesday the RHRA said it had no updates on the home or its plans to reopen.
Hamilton has reported a total of 747 cases of COVID-19 during the pandemic (740 positive, seven probable), two more than Tuesday.
Of those, 591 or 79 per cent are considered resolved.
The city's only outstanding institutional outbreak has also ended.
Ten staff members at Hamilton General Hospital's COVID-19 unit were infected by the virus, but the hospital announced Wednesday that the outbreak there had been declared over.
No new cases of COVID-19 were tallied in the Niagara Region, with the total holding steady at 719.
Eight-four of those cases are active, while 574 are resolved. Sixty-one people in the area have died.
Two institutional outbreaks are ongoing at Albright Manor in Lincoln and Garden City Manor in St. Catharines.
The number of confirmed cases in Brant/Brantford rose by one Wednesday for a total of 116.
Of those cases, 104 are resolved and either are active. Four people in the county have died.
The Halton Region added seven more confirmed cases of the virus and five more recoveries.
A total of 754 cases have been reported so far (684 confirmed, 70 probable), according to data shared by public health which also show 89 cases are active and 640 people have recovered. The virus has killed 25 people.
Burlington, which has 20 active cases, has seen a total of 148 throughout the pandemic (133 confirmed, 15 probable).
Seven people from the city have died, while 121 cases are resolved.
Statistics from Haldimand-Norfolk show the counties have 226 active cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, the same number as the day before.
A total of 397 people in the region have been infected with the virus. Of those, 140 have recovered and 31 have died.