Someone stole cleaning solution from a front porch in Hamilton, police say
In what may soon be a typical COVID-19-era crime, Hamilton police say someone had cleaning solution delivered to their home, and someone else stole it off their front porch.
Police say a delivery person dropped off a package multipurpose cleaning solution at an East Avenue North home just after 5 p.m. Monday. A man came along and stole the package and an observer sitting in a nearby vehicle spotted it.
The man walked to the back of a local business for some privacy to open the package. When officers arrived, they found him behind the store with discarded wrapping paper with the delivery address label still intact, and the two bottles of cleaning solution in a shopping bag.
A 40-year-old Hamilton man faces charges of theft under $5,000 and possession of stolen property under $5,000.
Police haven't seen an increase in package thefts, says Const. Lorraine Edwards. But this one is a chance to release some general safety tips. Those include:
- Have a box or container for packages on your front porch so the delivery items will be concealed.
- Install surveillance cameras at the front door.
- Ask a neighbour to pick up the package for you.
- Ask that the package be held at the post office.
- Ask that the package be signed upon delivery.