Driver in pig truck crash charged
Activist also charged at rollover site, 42 pigs die after crash
The driver of a truck carrying pigs to slaughter that rolled over in Burlington this week has been charged with careless driving.
Halton police announced Friday that a 25-year-old man from Brunner, Ont. had been charged under the highway traffic act, alongside one "administrative-related charge."
It capped off an extremely hectic week outside the Fearmans Pork plant, where 42 pigs died in a crash that snarled traffic near the corner of Appleby Line and Harvester Road.
- Woman already on trial for giving water to pigs arrested after pig truck rollover
- Vegan who gave water to pigs headed for slaughter finds it 'unfathomable' she was charged
The incident also led to further charges for Toronto woman Anita Krajnc, who was arrested at the scene and charged with obstructing police and a breach of recognizance.
That's on top of the mischief charge she is already fighting in court, for giving pigs water through the narrow openings of a metal trailer as they were headed to the very same plant on June 22, 2015.
There were about 180 pigs on the truck that rolled over on Wednesday, said Mary Jane Quinn, manager of communications for Ontario Pork. Of those, 138 were unharmed and sent to the plant for "processing."
"The remainder were either killed in the accident or were seriously compromised," she said. "Unfortunately, the pigs that died could not be processed as per [Canadian Food Inspection Agency] guidelines.
"The hogs that survived were examined by CFIA and approved for processing at the plant."
Krajnc is due back in court in November.