Hamilton man facing murder charge, held in custody

Gary White appeared before an Ontario Court of Justice in Hamilton on Tuesday morning for a bail hearing in connection with a murder that took place over the weekend.

Gary White will appear by video in a Hamilton courtroom on April 13

Accused killer Gary White appeared before an Ontario Court of Justice in Hamilton on Tuesday morning for a bail hearing in connection with a suspicious death that took place over the Easter weekend.

The 48-year-old Hamilton man is charged with second degree murder in the death of Joseph Colson on Friday. Police said Colson and White are cousins.

Reached by phone on Tuesday, acting Det. Sgt. Peter Thom said no guns were involved in the incident. He said he was unable to comment on the specific cause of death because the cause will be considered evidence before the court.

"It was a very bloody scene, both inside the apartment and out in the stairwell adjacent to Mr. Colson's apartment," he said. Colson was found at the base of the stairs outside the apartment by a neighbour who called the police.

Police have not been able to establish a motive as to why the accused showed up at Colson's apartment. Thom said there was evidence found inside the apartment that led to the charges against White. There is also a lot of video footage from around the area used in deciding to charge White.

"It's a very surveillance video-based investigation at the moment."

Video was gathered from neighbouring businesses, residences and taxicab companies. 

The investigation at 170 Jackson St. W concluded on Sunday afternoon, Thom said. Several tenants were displaced over the weekend. Police are still gathering evidence and analyzing forensic data gathered from the scene. 

Back in court April 13

In the John Sopinka courthouse on Tuesday, White stood tall and silent while his attorney, Sandee Smordin, asked for a publication ban and set a date for him to return to court.

White, who was addressed by his middle name "Michael" in court, had a clean-shaven face and head, and wore a grey hoodie. He wasn't wearing handcuffs but when he left the courtroom, one could see cuffs around his ankles.

White was remanded in custody and taken back to Hamilton-Wentworth Detention Centre. He's scheduled to next appear in court by video on April 13. At that time, a future bail court date will be set.

On Friday afternoon, police were called to 170 Jackson St. W. Paramedics treated Colson, who was in his 40s, at the scene. They took him to Hamilton General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Following the incident, police released a photo of White and asked the public to contact them if White was spotted.

On Monday morning, White turned himself in to police without incident.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.