Careless smoking fire guts east end Hamilton home
Damage estimated at $150K
Careless smoking aided by an open door caused a fire that ravaged an east end home early Tuesday, fire officials say.
Firefighters were called to 69 Martha Street by Oriole Crescent just after 3 a.m. They found a two storey home with flames and smoke shooting out of the second floor, says public information officer Claudio Mostacci.
“The suspected cause was careless disposal of smoking materials,” Mostacci said.
The fire actually started downstairs near the back of the home. When the tenant opened a back door and saw fire, he immediately ran to get his family out safely without closing the door, Mostacci says. That allowed the fire to quickly move through the rest of the house.
“Just like a chimney, it went right up to the second floor,” Mosttaci said. “It’s amazing how much a door can contain a fire. It’s totally amazing the difference it makes.”
The man and his family got out safely, and no one was injured – but the home was damaged to the point of being uninhabitable. Fire officials are estimating damages around $150,000.
The home is subsidized and owned by Ontario Housing, Mostacci says.