Best Hamilton Song: Warsawpack versus Ian Thomas
Painted Ladies vs Poorboy Blues
It’s time for the next head to head battle in CBC Hamilton’s best Hamilton song competition, featuring two of the city’s heavyweights – the eclectic, politically charged hip-hop of Warsawpack versus a 70s staple from Ian Thomas.
With Hamilton as host city for the 2015 Juno Awards, we’re looking for the best song by a Hamilton artist, and we’re doing it with a no holds barred, single elimination, bracket-style online tournament.
Two songs enter. One song leaves: In Monday's battle The Dirty Nil defeated Jeremy Fisher. The Dirty Nil's 'F---in' Up Young' collected 62 per cent of the vote ahead of Jeremy Fisher's 'High School.'
Here are our next two contestants in the first round, and we want you to vote for your favourite. Voting for this match up closes at midnight Tuesday.
Warsawpack: Poorboy Blues
Warsawpack’s hip-hop jazz-fusion sound still resonates today. Vocalist Lee Reed raps with true conviction, and his delivery is spot on. Slide those vocals over slinky saxophone lines, and you have a real winner.
Reed’s scathing political commentary continues on with his solo records, but this band is still sorely missed in the decade since they broke up.
Ian Thomas: Painted Ladies
Painted Ladies remains one of the most recognizable Canadian songs of the 1970s. Thomas had a hard time finding top 40 success stateside with the exception of this track, but it remains a classic rock radio staple.
Lots of other artists have covered his music too, including Santana, America, and Manfred Mann’s Earth Band.
Here are the other great Hamilton acts who are in the first round of our competition, who will go head to head in the coming weeks:
- Teenage Head – Let's Shake
- Junior Boys – So This is Goodbye [Eliminated]
- Rita Chiarelli – These Four Walls
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings – Lean on Your Peers [Eliminated]
- Caribou – Can't Do Without You [Eliminated]
- Crowbar – Oh What a Feeling
- Dirty Nil – F---in' Up Young
- Jeremy Fisher – High School [Eliminated]
- Ian Thomas – Painted Ladies
- Warsaw Pack – Poorboy Blues
- Arkells – Whistleblower
- Stan Rogers – Barrett’s Privateers
- Junkhouse – Shine
- Jessy Lanza – Kathy Lee
- Daniel Lanois – The Maker
- The Forgotten Rebels – Surfin’ on Heroin