Best Hamilton Song: Stan Rogers vs Warsawpack
Should 'Barrett's Privateers' or 'Poorboy Blues' move on?
CBC Hamilton’s best Hamilton song competition is back with two great, but polar opposite tunes – a classic from local treasure Stan Rogers versus the hip-hop fusion sounds of Warsawpack.
With Hamilton as host city for the 2015 Juno Awards, we’re looking for the best song by a Hamilton artist, and we’re doing it with a no holds barred, single elimination, bracket-style online tournament.
Classic rock staple Oh What a Feeling from Crowbar knocked The Dirty Nil out of the competition on Wednesday.
Here are our next two contestants in the second round, and we want you to vote for your favourite. Voting for this match up closes at midnight Thursday.
Stan Rogers: Barrett’s Privateers
Though his rich baritone is often associated with the east coast, Stan Rogers was a Hamiltonian born and bred. His lasting contributions to Canadian folk music resonate to this day, decades after his tragic death in a plane fire back in 1983.
It’s difficult to choose just one of Roger’s songs, but Barrett’s Privateers is a bona fide modern sea shanty, putting it into a class of its very own. Rogers even beat out fan favourites Arkells in the first round to move on to this round.
Warsawpack: Poorboy Blues
Warsawpack’s hip-hop jazz-fusion sound still resonates today. Vocalist Lee Reed raps with true conviction, and his delivery is spot on. Slide those vocals over slinky saxophone lines, and you have a real winner.
Reed’s scathing political commentary continues on with his solo records, but this band is still sorely missed in the decade since they broke up. The band toppled classic rock staple Painted Ladies by Ian Thomas to get to the second round.
Here are the other great Hamilton acts that were in the first round of our competition and have gone head to head so far:
- Junior Boys – So This is Goodbye [Eliminated]
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings – Lean on Your Peers [Eliminated]
- Caribou – Can't Do Without You [Eliminated]
- Teenage Head – Let's Shake [Eliminated]
- Rita Chiarelli – These Four Walls
- Jeremy Fisher – High School [Eliminated]
- Ian Thomas – Painted Ladies [Eliminated]
- Arkells – Whistleblower [Eliminated]
- The Dirty Nil – F---in' Up Young [Eliminated]
- Crowbar – Oh What a Feeling
- Junkhouse – Shine
- Jessy Lanza – Kathy Lee [Eliminated]
- Daniel Lanois – The Maker [Eliminated]
- The Forgotten Rebels – Surfin' on Heroin