Best Hamilton Song: Junkhouse versus the Forgotten Rebels
Should 'Shine' or 'Surfin' on Heroin' move on?
It’s time to choose who should move on to the next round of CBC Hamilton’s best Hamilton song competition, and two beloved groups are facing off – Junkhouse and The Forgotten Rebels.
With Hamilton as host city for the 2015 Juno Awards, we’re looking for the best song by a Hamilton artist, and we’re doing it with a no holds barred, single elimination, bracket-style online tournament.
Hip hop fusion group Warsawpack knocked out beloved singer songwriter Stan Rogers in Thursday’s competition.
Here are our next two contestants in the second round, and we want you to vote for your favourite. Voting for this match up closes at midnight Friday.
Shine is a true 90s alternative hit. This tune perfectly encapsulates the sound and feel of an era, and remains one of the most well known songs Tom Wilson ever played. Shine beat out Jessy Lanza in a hotly contested bout to move on to this round.
As Shine was the last track the band's final studio album, it serves as a fitting bookend for one of Ontario's biggest bands of the 90s.
The Forgotten Rebels: Surfin’ on Heroin
The Forgotten Rebels are an integral part of Hamilton’s punk scene, and helped shape the first wave of Canadian Punk.
With singer Mickey De Sadist’s signature snarl alongside the band’s grungy sound, the band easily stands among some of the best early punk rock outfits. Surfin’ on Heroin beat out renowned producer and songwriter Daniel Lanois to move on to this round.
Now it’s time for you to vote. Who should move on to this next round? Tell us in the poll at the top of this story.
Here are the other great Hamilton acts that were in the first round of our competition and have gone head to head so far:
- Junior Boys – So This is Goodbye [Eliminated]
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings – Lean on Your Peers [Eliminated]
- Caribou – Can't Do Without You [Eliminated]
- Teenage Head – Let's Shake [Eliminated]
- Rita Chiarelli – These Four Walls
- Jeremy Fisher – High School [Eliminated]
- Ian Thomas – Painted Ladies [Eliminated]
- Arkells – Whistleblower [Eliminated]
- The Dirty Nil – F---in' Up Young [Eliminated]
- Crowbar – Oh What a Feeling
- Jessy Lanza – Kathy Lee [Eliminated]
- Daniel Lanois – The Maker [Eliminated]
- Warsawpack – Poorboy Blues
- Stan Rogers – Barrett's Privateers [Eliminated]