Best Hamilton Song: Junkhouse versus Jessy Lanza
Vote: Shine vs. Kathy Lee
CBC Hamilton’s best Hamilton song competition is back with another hard choice — should iconic Hamilton rock band Junkhouse move on to the next round, or should innovative electronic artist Jessy Lanza? You decide.
With Hamilton as host city for the 2015 Juno Awards, we’re looking for the best song by a Hamilton artist, and we’re doing it with a no holds barred, single elimination, bracket-style online tournament.
And if you think you've got the contest figured out try this on for size. In Wednesday's vote, the biggest upset yet. Canadian folk singer Stan Rogers knocked out one of Hamilton's most popular bands — The Arkells. Roger's song Barrett's Privateers defeated Whistleblower by The Arkells, winning 59 per cent of the vote. Early favourite Lean on Your Peers by Blackie and the Rodeo Kings has also been eliminated. What's next? Well, that's up to you.
Here are our next two contestants in the first round, and we want you to vote for your favourite. Voting for this match up closes at midnight Thursday.
Shine is a true 90s alternative hit. This tune perfectly encapsulates the sound and feel of an era, and remains one of the most well known songs Tom Wilson ever played.
As Shine was the last track the band's final studio album, it serves as a fitting bookend for one of Ontario's biggest band's of the 90s.
Jessy Lanza: Kathy Lee
Jessy Lanza's warm electronic sounds continue to grab attention in a big way — this video for Kathy Lee now has over 380,000 views on YouTube.
This track showcases just how well Lanza layers synths on top of slick drum loops, topped off by her ethereal voice. And how can you argue with a video that showcases both Gage Park and Jed the Dancing Guy so prominently?
Here are the other great Hamilton acts who are in the first round of our competition, who will go head to head in the coming weeks:
- Teenage Head – Let's Shake
- Junior Boys – So This is Goodbye [Eliminated]
- Rita Chiarelli – These Four Walls
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings – Lean on Your Peers [Eliminated]
- Caribou – Can't Do Without You [Eliminated]
- Crowbar – Oh What a Feeling
- Dirty Nil – F---in' Up Young
- Jeremy Fisher – High School [Eliminated]
- Ian Thomas – Painted Ladies [Eliminated]
- Warsaw Pack – Poorboy Blues
- Arkells – Whistleblower [Eliminated]
- Stan Rogers – Barrett's Privateers
- Daniel Lanois – The Maker
- The Forgotten Rebels – Surfin’ on Heroin