Best Hamilton Song: Daniel Lanois versus The Forgotten Rebels
What's the better song, 'The Maker' or 'Surfin' on Heroin'?
It’s time for the last battle in the first round of CBC Hamilton’s best Hamilton song competition, and it’s a big one – renowned producer and musician Daniel Lanois versus local punk icons The Forgotten Rebels.
With Hamilton as host city for the 2015 Juno Awards, we’re looking for the best song by a Hamilton artist, and we’re doing it with a no holds barred, single elimination, bracket-style online tournament.
Thursday’s competition was a close one, but in the end Junkhouse beat Jessy Lanza to advance to the next round.
Here are our next two contestants in the first round, and we want you to vote for your favourite. Voting for this match up closes at midnight Thursday.
Daniel Lanois: The Maker
Daniel Lanois is one of the world’s most prolific music producers, and has helped shape work by giants like U2, Peter Gabriel and Bob Dylan.
But Lanois is also a terrific songwriter and performer in his own right. His newer offerings tend to lean heavily on electronics and atmosphere, while his earlier work is more traditional – but no less important.
The Forgotten Rebels: Surfin’ on Heroin
The Forgotten Rebels are an integral part of Hamilton’s punk scene, and helped shape the first wave of Canadian Punk.
With singer Mickey De Sadist’s signature snarl alongside the band’s grungy sound, the band easily stands among some of the best early punk rock outfits.
Now it’s time for you to vote. Who should move on to this next round? Tell us in the poll at the top of this story.
Here are the other great Hamilton acts who are in the first round of our competition, who will go head to head in the coming weeks:
- Teenage Head – Let's Shake
- Junior Boys – So This is Goodbye [Eliminated]
- Rita Chiarelli – These Four Walls
- Blackie and the Rodeo Kings – Lean on Your Peers [Eliminated]
- Caribou – Can't Do Without You [Eliminated]
- Crowbar – Oh What a Feeling
- Dirty Nil – F---in' Up Young
- Jeremy Fisher – High School [Eliminated]
- Ian Thomas – Painted Ladies [Eliminated]
- Warsaw Pack – Poorboy Blues
- Arkells – Whistleblower [Eliminated]
- Stan Rogers – Barrett's Privateers
- Junkhouse – Shine
- Jessy Lanza – Kathy Lee [Eliminated]