Student charged after McMaster database breach, 25K applicants affected
18-year-old facing charges of 'unauthorized use of a computer'
An 18-year-old McMaster student is facing charges after a password-protected database containing student admission offer letters was breached at the university.
According to police, university officials alerted detectives on Nov. 10 that there had been an "unauthorized breach to their computer system."
Const. Lorraine Edwards told CBC News that a student was found, and charged with "unauthorized use of a computer." Police say further charges are pending.
"He was somewhere he shouldn't have been," Edwards said.
In a statement, McMaster said the student had accessed some of the letters, which include information like student names, internal student numbers and addresses. University spokesperson Gord Arbeau told CBC News that 25,000 applicants are affected.
"In some instances, the information included date of birth," the statement reads. "The letters do not include any personal financial or health information and no sensitive personal information was accessed or disclosed."
The university says they took the database "off line" and "corrected the issue."
"Those whose information was accessed are being notified," the university says.