Man, woman wanted in Stoney Creek, Ont., homicide arrested in Hungary months after shooting

Oliver Karafa and Yun (Lucy) Lu Li flew to eastern Europe within 24 hours of a shooting in February in Stoney Creek, Ont., that left 39-year-old Tyler Pratt dead, according to investigators. The two were arrested June 12.

The formal process to extradite Oliver Karafa, Yun (Lucy) Lu Li to Canada is underway, say police

Two people.
Oliver Karafa, 28, and Yun (Lucy) Lu Li, 25, are suspects in a Stoney, Creek, Ont., homicide in February. They left Canada following the shooting and were recently arrested in Hungary. (Hamilton Police Service)

A man and woman who police say fled Canada following a homicide in February in Stoney Creek, Ont., have been arrested in Hungary.

Oliver Karafa and Yun (Lucy) Lu Li flew to eastern Europe within 24 hours of a shooting that left 39-year-old Tyler Pratt dead, Hamilton police say. A woman was also critically injured, but survived.

The two travelled through several countries, including Slovakia and the Czech Republic, before arriving in Budapest, says Det.-Sgt. Jim Callender.

They were arrested on June 12 and investigators in Hamilton were notified a short time later.

"It's been a journey that has taken a lot of strides and a lot of new information that has led to this," Callender said during a media update on Monday.

He said the fact the two fled the country so soon after the shooting was "unusual."

"One of the greatest feelings is telling the families," said Callender. "I think there is a desire for the investigative team, you see the satisfaction on the team, but that is just amplified once you can see the faces of the surviving victim and hear the voices of the family that's in B.C."

Injured woman now out of hospital

The shooting happened just after 7:15 p.m. on Feb. 28 at a home on Arvin Avenue.

Callender would not say what police believe led to the shooting, saying it forms evidence for the case, but added he's "very comfortable with the motivation for the shooting and the murder."

A 26-year-old woman was seriously injured in the incident, and has since left hospital and is continuing to recover.

Callender said she's "doing very well," but has a long road ahead of her.

"I can only imagine physically what she's going through, but I think emotionally, that's going to be a toll that will definitely stay for a long time."

Police in Canada fed tips to European investigators

Police previously identified Karafa, 28, and Li, 25, as suspects wanted for murder and attempted murder, but said they had boarded a flight and left Canada.

Investigators urged the fugitives to turn themselves in, saying Hamilton police were working closely with international authorities.

In a media release issued Monday morning, Hamilton police said those efforts, along with the work of the Hungarian Fugitive Active Search Team, led to the pair's arrest in Budapest, where they're in custody.

"The efforts of the police services are what led to this," said Callender. His office worked with RCMP liaison officers for the European Union to track down the suspects, he said.

He wouldn't get into specifics of how police determined Karafa and Li had taken a flight out of the country, and said some details of their travel once they landed in Europe remain unknown.

As for how investigators found out they were in Hungary, Callender would only say it was based on information received in Canada and fed to officials there, which "provided a pretty specific location within Budapest itself."

The formal process to extradite the two to Canada is underway, police say.