Michael Minard, former Maple Leafs, Bulldogs goalie, jailed for sexts with teen

A former Toronto Maple Leafs and Hamilton Bulldog goalie is in a U.S. jail for 60 days after sexting with a 13-year-old girl and attempting to meet her at a hotel.

Minard moved to Hamilton after being fired from as a coach with the AHL's Portland Pirates

Ottawa Senators' Joe Murphy (36) fires a shot over Toronto Maple Leafs' goalie Mike Minard during first period pre-season NHL action in Ottawa, September 19, 2001. REUTERS/Jim Young (Jim Young/REUTERS)

A former Toronto Maple Leafs and Hamilton Bulldog goalie is in a U.S. jail for 60 days after sexting with a 13-year-old girl and attempting to meet her at a hotel. 

Michael Minard, 37, a former assistant coach in the American Hockey League, pleaded no contest to sexual misconduct charges in Maine, and will spend the next 10 years on Maine's Sex Offenders Registry. 

Minard moved to Hamilton after being fired from his assistant coaching position with the AHL's Portland Pirates when the organization learned of the relationship with the teen in February, a relationship which started at an AHL game last November. 

Hamilton police say they're aware of the charges, but deferred to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) when asked if Minard would be put on a Canadian registry of sex offenders. The OPP did not immediately return phone calls.

Minard suited up as a goalie for a preseason National Hockey League game with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2001, and played a regular season game with the Edmonton Oilers in the 1999-2000 season. He also bounced around the AHL and other leagues between 1995 and 2008, including 54 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs. 

In 2011, he began his coaching career with the Portland Pirates, and was promoted to assistant coach to start the 2013-14 season. 

Caught up in the 'excitement and fantasy'

When confronted with police, Minard immediately cooperated, admitting he sent an inappropriate image of himself to the teen, the sheriff's report to court said. "Mike said he knew what he did was wrong and that he got caught up in the excitement and fantasy of it all."

The police first learned of the texts when the mother of a 13-year-old girl went to Waldo County Sheriff's Office in northeastern Maine, reporting her daughter had received inappropriate messages.

According to court reports, provided to the CBC by the Bangor Daily News, the relationship between Minard and the teen started at a game in November 2013 when she tweeted Minard was getting in the way of her photos. Minard direct messaged her through the Portland Pirates Twitter account to apologize. Messages back and forth led to Minard asking for her cellphone number. 

Tweets turned into sexting

Text messages soon turned sexual, and the 13-year-old told police she sent suggestive and explicit photos of herself to Minard. 

The report filed in court also says while on the team bus heading home from a game, Minard asked the 13-year-old if she wanted to see explicit pictures of him. She told police she replied yes, and Minard sent the photo. 

Minard tried twice, but was unsuccessful, to be alone with the 13-year-old, including one attempt to get her to a hotel.

The report also shows that he texted with the teen's friend after the mother seized the phone. He tried to tell the friend how to delete texts, and later, immediately cooperated with police.

Court reports show that Minard was met in the coach's room by police, where he volunteered his phone and iPad. He was fired the next day. 

Minard began his 60-day sentence Aug. 28.