3 dryer fires Sunday night kept Hamilton Fire hopping
3 dryer fires reported in a little over an hour Sunday
Hamilton Fire crews had a busy Sunday evening fighting dryer fires at three separate locations, all reported in the span of just over an hour.
The first call came in around 9 p.m. and the last one around 10:20 p.m.
Fires on Paling Avenue in the east end and Ontario Avenue in Stinson were both contained within the dryer, but a reported fire on Locke Street North had spread some beyond the dryer, said Hamilton Fire spokesman Claudio Mostacci.
Two people were assessed for smoke inhalation — an infant at the Ontario Avenue home and an adult male from the Locke Street North fire, Mostacci said.
Last winter, Mayor Fred Eisenberger was treated for smoke inhalation and a burned hand after his home dryer caught fire. At the time, the mayor's office issued a statement reminding the city about "the importance of having a fire extinguisher in your home and (knowing) how to properly use it."
The Ontario Fire Marshal has some tips on avoiding clothes dryer fires.
To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.
By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.
Become a CBC Account Holder
Join the conversation Create account
Already have an account?