Campaign Briefing: Ward 3 election candidate builds 'human-powered' campaign vehicle
The Campaign Briefing will come out Monday, Wednesday and Friday between now and Hamilton's Oct. 22 municipal election. Anyone with news to include should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When it comes to the 2018 municipal election campaign, it's all about bicycles.
Alain Bureau, one of 13 candidates in the Ward 3 race, is campaigning on a purpose-built bicycle he calls the Ward Rider.
His "human-powered campaign vehicle" contains pylons, tools, campaign brochures, signs and shirts. Bureau, who co-owns a web-based business, said campaigning by bicycle makes sense right now. Many people he's talked to while canvassing worry about safety for pedestrians and cyclists.
"It speaks to so many things our city can be, and is being," said Bureau, who also owns a car.
In Hamilton's lower city, at least, transit and complete streets are getting a lot of campaign air time.
Cycle Hamilton is organizing bike rides or candidates in each of Hamilton's 15 wards. It held the Ward 1 ride on Saturday and the Ward 3 ride Sunday.
Last month, Ward 1 candidate Maureen Wilson issued a statement a day after a man was seriously injured in a downtown hit and run. She'd like to review collision data, she said, to identify where streets can be designed better.
"This isn't a political issue," she said. "This isn't a Ward 1 issue. This is a city-wide public safety issue."
Several of Bureau's Ward 3 competitors, including Laura Farr, cited complete streets too in a CBC News survey about their priorities.
"The other day, my son and I were nearly hit by a distracted driver," she said. "On our street, we take our lawn chairs out and sit on the road to make drivers slow down."
Mayor, Ward 2
- When: Tuesday, Oct. 2, 6 p.m.
- Where: Central Presbyterian Church, 165 Charlton Ave. W.
- Who: Durand Neighbourhood Association (annual general meeting)
Mayor, Wards 12, 13 and 15
- When: Tuesday, Oct. 2, 6:30 to 9 p.m.
- Where: Waterdown District High School, 215 Parkside Dr., Waterdown
- Who: Flamborough Review and Flamborough Chamber of Commerce, who invite you to submit questions
- When: Saturday, Oct. 6 (meet and greet)
- Where: Eastmount Community Centre, 115 East 26th St.
- Who: Mountain Kidz Klub
- More info: email@example.com. Turkey soup lunch for a $3 donation. Open to the community.
- When: Monday, Oct. 8, 7 to 9 p.m.
- Where: The Pearl Company, 16 Steven St.
- Who: Crown Point, GALA, Keith and Stinson neighbourhood associations
- Info: Because of space restrictions, anyone who wants to attend should get a free online ticket.
- When: Tuesday, Oct. 9, doors open at 6 p.m., debate from 6:30 to 8 p.m.
- Where: Dundas Town Hall auditorium, 60 Main St., Dundas
- Who: Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, Dundas division
- When: Tuesday, Oct 9, 6:30 p.m.
- Where: 754 Barton St. E.
- Who: Afro Canadian Caribbean Association in partnership with the African Canadian Action Congress
Advance polls dates and times, per the City of Hamilton website.
- Thursday, Oct. 4 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 11 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 13 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Exactly 2 weeks ago, a cyclist from our community was hit at a roundabout. No news on the incident, so I won't speculate. These are the roundabouts in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ancaster?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ancaster</a> Do you think you can see behind them? Picture taken in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/walkmode?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#walkmode</a> not <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/parkmode?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#parkmode</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/hamont?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#hamont</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CycleHamilton?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CycleHamilton</a> <a href="https://t.co/cQNC7ZiDkm">pic.twitter.com/cQNC7ZiDkm</a>—@JohnScime_W12
We need a culture change around speed on our streets. This, the subject of the latest blog post. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/YHMVote?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#YHMVote</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Dundas?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Dundas</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Flamborough?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Flamborough</a><a href="https://t.co/CrfkUlmFkG">https://t.co/CrfkUlmFkG</a>—@rgelder
Stellar turnout for the Ward 3 Candidate Ride today! At least 25 people here to ride the Ward and talk bikes 👏🚲 <a href="https://t.co/AzO3fa5vFB">pic.twitter.com/AzO3fa5vFB</a>—@RachelWeldrick
I issued this press release yesterday, calling for a pause on future development. The city needs to get a handle on current traffic and infrastructure demands through a comprehensive study before any new developments applications are approved. <a href="https://t.co/LGompSDM1d">pic.twitter.com/LGompSDM1d</a>—@clark_bv
We had a great time talking to residents at the <a href="https://twitter.com/ATU107?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ATU107</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamOnt?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HamOnt</a> candidates meet and greet. William's main hope for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OurWard3?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OurWard3</a> are: organic recycling, improved roads, and local business support. <a href="https://t.co/DxhVEAzi5q">pic.twitter.com/DxhVEAzi5q</a>—@NrinderWard3
Super Dad. #1 canvasser. Love him. Kicking it at 88. Fit, kind & curious all his life. <a href="https://t.co/1qKhrRkD0Y">pic.twitter.com/1qKhrRkD0Y</a>—@ward1wilson
Thrilled 2B profiled <a href="https://twitter.com/ProudPolitics?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ProudPolitics</a> w/ fellow LGBTIQ+ candidates running in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamiltonON?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HamiltonON</a>'s Municipal Election: <a href="https://twitter.com/sgeffros?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@sgeffros</a> (Ward 1) & <a href="https://twitter.com/CameronKroetsch?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CameronKroetsch</a> (Ward 2). Also featured: My friends <a href="https://twitter.com/nicki_ward?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@nicki_ward</a> (Ward 11) & <a href="https://twitter.com/kristynwongtam?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@kristynwongtam</a> (Ward 13) running in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TorontoON?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TorontoON</a>. <a href="https://t.co/okpLVxR9qp">https://t.co/okpLVxR9qp</a>—@lylamiklos