Hamilton paramedic among 122 charged in child pornography investigations
'HPS is not aware of any on-duty misconduct,' says EMS chief
A Hamilton paramedic is among 122 people across Ontario facing child sexual abuse-related charges.
Frank Hampson, who lives in Welland, is charged with accessing and possessing of child pornography.
The charges against the 50-year-old advanced care paramedic were announced by the OPP and 26 local law enforcement agencies during a press conference Wednesday.
A total of 551 charges related to online child sexual abuse in Ontario were laid last month alone. Including Hampson, 11 of the people charged were from the Hamilton, Brantford and Niagara areas.
Hamilton Paramedic Service (HPS) Chief Michael Sanderson said he's aware Hampson has been charged and that he is currently not working as a paramedic for the service.
"HPS remains committed to the protection and safety of the residents of the city of Hamilton," he wrote in a statement to CBC News. "HPS is not aware of any on-duty misconduct on the part of this paramedic."
Mario Posteraro, president of OPSEU Local 256, said he also has no knowledge that any of Hampson's alleged activities happened during his work as a Hamilton paramedic.
"In fact, it only seems to be on non-work related time," he added. "If these charges are true they are obviously repugnant and represent the worst of the worst of charges under the criminal code."
That said, Posteraro noted Hampson has a right to defend himself and to be considered innocent unless guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
The union head said he also has not been notified that Hampson has been fired.
Police also announced charges against 10 other area people:
- A 62-year-old Hamilton man charged with making child pornography and three counts each of distributing and possessing child pornography.
- A 39-year-old Hamilton man charged with two count of possessing child pornography and one of making it available.
- A 42-year-old Burlington man charged with two counts of possessing child pornography and one count each of making it available and accessing it.
- A 21-year-old St. Catharines man charged with seven counts of luring a person under the age of 16.
- A 46-year-old Brantford man charged with possessing child pornography and four counts of accessing child pornography.
- A 26-year-old Port Colborne man charged with luring a person under the age of 18 and two counts of sexual interference.
- A young person from Niagara Falls charged with voyeurism under 16 and non-consensual distribution of intimate images.
- A 26-year-old from Niagara Falls charged with accessing child pornography, making it available and possessing it.
- A 41-year-old man from St. Catharines charged with luring a person under the age of 16.
- A young person from Welland charged with extortion and harassing telecommunications.
Police say investigations are ongoing and additional arrests are pending.