Hamilton

Hamilton to get $7.4M from Trudeau and Ford for HVAC, park upgrades and bike path

The federal and provincial governments are giving Hamilton $7.43M for five local infrastructure projects.

Upgrades to Gage Park and Andrew Warburton Memorial Park and Pipeline Trail to be done by Dec. 31, city says

Hamilton is going to fund five new infrastructure projects with money from the federal and provincial governments. (Bobby Hristova/CBC)

The federal and provincial governments are giving Hamilton $7.43M for five local infrastructure projects.

The projects and their costs are:

  • Upgrades to heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems in public buildings, rec centres and libraries worth roughly $3.3 million.
  • Upgrades to the Gage Park walkways worth roughly $1.5 million.
  • Upgrades to public service counters including physical barriers between staff and clients worth about $1 million.
  • Upgrades to the Andrew Warburton Memorial Park and Pipeline Trail worth roughly $960,000.
  • A cycling trail connecting McMaster and Hamilton General Hospital worth about $570,000. 

City staff said upgrades to the Gage Park and the Andrew Warburton Memorial Park and Pipeline Trail are set to start in mid-July and finish by Dec. 31 this year.

City staff also said the cycling trail, called the Healthcare Connector, is shovel ready.

MP Filomena Tassi (Hamilton West–Ancaster–Dundas) said the Trudeau government will cover 80 per cent of the costs while the Ford government will cover the remaining 20 per cent.

"The upgrades we are announcing today will help Hamilton continue to grow," she said. "Hamilton needs more businesses to invest and to create employment here. We also want to provide residents with safe places to work and beautiful, accessible trails to enjoy."

MPP Donna Skelly (Flamborough-Glanbrook) called these projects "critical upgrades."

Mayor Fred Eisenberger faced questions about if the city planned to address issues with local homeless encampments. Earlier this year, community activists were calling for more funding toward affordable housing and shelter space.

Eisenberger said the city is working on those issues through other funding pools, pointing to a recent $10.8 million commitment from the federal government for more housing and local plans to $950,000 toward a new shelter.

"We continue that effort and that isn't going to abate. That doesn't mean all of our funding is going to go to those projects, there are also other areas that need attention," he said.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now