Residents rescued from apartment fire started by 'smoking material,' fire department says
Several people treated for smoke inhalation, 1 sent to hospital
Hamilton firefighters rescued several people from a downtown apartment fire, which the department says was started by careless smoking.
The Hamilton Fire Department was called to a fire at 50 Cathcart St. around 5:07 p.m. on Saturday.
Firefighters arrived to a well-involved fire on the building's fifth floor, according to assistant deputy chief Shawn De Jager. There was heavy smoke on the fourth and fifth floors.
The alarm was quickly upgraded and additional resources were needed.
Firefighters started search and rescue operations and attacked the fire from inside the building.
$50,000 in damages
The occupant of the apartment on fire had self-evacuated and was treated for smoke inhalation and burns to their hands, De Jager said.
Smoke filled an adjoining apartment, and firefighters rescued the two people inside it. Firefighters used an aerial ladder to help bring them down to safety from a fifth floor balcony. Both were treated for smoke inhalation and one was sent to hospital, De Jager said.
The fire was brought under control quickly, he said, but the apartment where the fire started sustained around $50,000 in damages.
He said the suspected cause is "careless discarding of smoking material."
There were no other injuries to civilians or firefighters reported. All residents, except those who lived in the apartment where the fire occurred, have been allowed back into the building.