Hamilton

Discarded cigarette sparks fire above Happy Hourz karaoke bar

Residents living above Happy Hourz Pub in downtown Hamilton were evacuated Sunday after careless smoking sparked a fire in one of the building's apartments.

No one was injured, says district fire chief

Hamilton firefighters put out a fire in an apartment above Happy Hourz Pub Sunday afternoon. (Dan Taekema/CBC)

Residents living above Happy Hourz Pub in downtown Hamilton were evacuated after careless smoking sparked a fire in one of the building's apartments.

Fire crews were called to the karaoke bar Sunday afternoon after smoke was spotted outside the building on the corner of MacNab Street North and Vine Street.

"We saw smoke showing all around the building, so it was a  bit of a concern at first … but it's all clear now," said District Fire Chief Gerry Melia. "The door was open upon arrival and [crews] discovered a mattress on fire in the north bedroom."

Everyone living in the building was able to safely evacuate and there were no injuries, according to Melia.

Fire officials believe the fire was started by a discarded cigarette.

The apartment where the fire began was not occupied, but the chief said it was "open to trespass" and whoever caused it fled.

A charred mattress could be seen on the sidewalk outside the bar. Fire officials say no one was hurt. (Dan Taekema/CBC)

A charred mattress and metal frame could be seen on the sidewalk outside the bar.

Melia said police and the city's health department have been notified.

now