Hamilton apartment fire kills dog, sends child and adult to hospital in serious condition
Firefighters rushed into the burning building after reports of people inside
A dog is dead, while a child and adult are in hospital in serious condition after an apartment fire in Westdale on Saturday evening.
The Hamilton Fire Department says it responded to a report of a flame coming from an apartment balcony on Glen Road at about 7 p.m.
First responders arrived and called for more backup after seeing the flames on the sixth floor.
Fire Chief Dave Cunliffe says firefighters rushed into the burning building after reports of people being inside.
"An aggressive search and rescue operation was initiated and firefighters found and rescued an adult and a child in the fire apartment," he says in a release.
First responders used first aid to help both people before paramedics transported them to hospital with serious injuries.
Hamilton Police and <a href="https://twitter.com/HamiltonFireDep?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HamiltonFireDep</a> have responded to a fire in the area of Glen Road in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HamOnt?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HamOnt</a>. Two individuals have been transported to hospital by <a href="https://twitter.com/HPS_Paramedics?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@HPS_Paramedics</a> in serious condition.—@HamiltonPolice
Cunliffe says the extent of their injuries is unclear and their current condition is unknown.
Firefighters also saved a cat from the fire, but were unable to save a dog inside the building.
Cunliffe says the "significant" damage and the extent of the injuries has spurred an investigation from Office of the Fire Marshal.
There's no word on the dollar amount of the damage or the cause of the fire.