Unattended cooking blamed for Fullerton Ave. fire that caused $75K in damage
'This type of fire is absolutely preventable,' says Chief David Cunliffe
Fire officials say unattended cooking sparked a fire on Fullerton Avenue that caused an estimated $75,000 in damage.
Crews were called to the scene at around 7:31 p.m., just 11 minutes after they responded to another fire on Beach Road where a woman and two dogs were killed.
When they arrived on scene at Fullerton Avenue firefighters found a "well-involved kitchen fire" with heavy smoke and flames visible, according to chief David Cunliffe.
Everyone inside the home managed to get out before the fire department arrived, the chief added. One person was assessed by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation and released. No other injuries were reported.
The fire was quickly brought under control and extinguished, said Cunliffe.
"Unattended cooking is one of the leading causes of house fires in the City of Hamilton," stated the chief in a media release. "This type of fire is absolutely preventable and we remind Hamiltonians to never leave anything unattended on the stove."