Damage estimated at $225K after Corktown fire, 15 people unable to return home
Fire department suspects careless smoking is to blame
Fifteen people are unable to return home and one man is in hospital after a fire at a Corktown apartment building early Monday morning.
The Hamilton Fire Department suspects the fire was sparked by "careless" smoking. Damage is estimated at roughly $225,000.
Fire crews were called to 123 Charlton Ave. E. around 12:16 a.m. and found a fire and "heavy smoke conditions" on the eighth floor, according to a statement from deputy fire chief Dan Milovanovic.
The "well involved fire" began in unit 807 and was upgraded to a multiple alarm fire, which brought in resources from across the city.
Firefighters on the ground were met by a man who said he was the person living in the apartment that was on fire, but had managed to get out.
He was treated by paramedics then brought to Hamilton General Hospital with smoke inhalation, Milovanovic said in the statement.
At the time the statement from the fire department was released, the man was in stable condition. No other victims were found during a search and rescue operation.
The apartment suffered "extensive damage" in the fire and the entire 8th floor hallway has "substantial" smoke damage, said Milovanovic.
Fifteen other people who lived on the floor were not able to return to their units and the department says they were provided with temporary shelter by the Red Cross.