Be careful when smoking, say Hamilton firefighters after a Corktown high rise fire

Hamilton firefighters are reminding people to be careful with their cigarettes after a fire at a Corktown high rise this weekend.

The fire started on a 14th floor balcony and caused about $100K in damage

A fire broke out on the 14th floor of this Corktown apartment building and caused about $100,000 in damage. (Google Maps)

Hamilton firefighters are reminding people to be careful with their cigarettes after a fire at a Corktown high rise this weekend.

Firefighters were called to 123 Charlton Ave. E. around 4:43 p.m. Saturday, the fire department said in a media release. When they got there, they found a fire on a 14th floor balcony.

Firefighters used "aggressive tactics" to stop it from spreading to other units. Then they cleared the building of smoke and residents returned to their apartments.

This excludes residents of the unit where the fire started, the department said. They still can't return.

The fire caused about $100,000 in damage, the department said. It was likely caused by careless disposal of smoking materials. This is one of the leading causes of fires in Hamilton.

"With this in mind, we ask that if you choose to smoke ensure that you have an appropriate container to safely extinguish the article."