Hamilton

Careless smoking fire sends 1 to hospital, causes $60K damage

Monday afternoon fire in 16-storey apartment building caused by careless smoking, Hamilton Fire Department said.
A fire on the second floor of a Sanford Avenue South apartment building caused $60,000 in damage, fire officials said. (Chyanne Garneau/Twitter)

An apartment fire in a 16-storey building in central Hamilton caused $60,000 in damage Monday, Hamilton fire officials said.

The fire, probably caused by careless smoking, sent one person to hospital, the fire department said.  

Firefighters were called around 12:30 p.m. Monday to deal with the fire in a building on Sanford Avenue South, between Main and King.

They found "heavy flames" in a unit on the second floor and smoke traveling through several floors. The fire department called it a multiple alarm fire to trigger help from more firefighters.  

Damage from the fire was limited to one apartment unit, a total estimated at $60,000, and crews immediately began to ventilate the building.