Fallen trees hamper efforts to restore power in wake of Juan

Thousands left without electricity in wake of Hurricane Juan may have to wait until Thursday before power is restored.

On Tuesday more than 100,000 people were without electrical power in Nova Scotia and P.E.I and 5,000 remained without phone service, a day after Hurricane Juan stormed through the two provinces.

  • BACKGROUNDER: Hurricanes

    The loss of electricity forced schools to cancel classes and universities to close for the second straight day. Officials said many would have to wait until Thursday before their power is restored.

    Hospitals were open to patients on Tuesday, but elective surgeries are expected to resume Wednesday.

    Daily living became difficult as several gas stations remain closed, and those that did open, restricted the amount of purchase.

    Most banks were still not working on Tuesday and grocery stores faced a growing amount of spoiled food.

    The city of Halifax remained in a state of emergency.

    Juan, which was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit shore after midnight on Sunday, also caused major damage to many of Halifax's major tourist attractions, such as the boardwalk and caused huge boulders to wash ashore.

    Fallen trees devastated the Halifax Public Gardens.

    Ottawa sent 600 soldiers to help clear thousands of fallen trees that had crashed on power lines.

    "Crews made progress overnight but it's a street by street job," said Nova Scotia spokesperson Nancy Power.

    Non-essential workers were asked to stay home Tuesday as officials cleared up the trees and branches littering and clogging the streets.

    The cleanup is expected to take weeks. Officials have yet to compile a damage estimate from the worst storm to hit the peninsula in decades.

    * Coverage from CBC Nova Scotia* Coverage from CBC Prince Edward Island

    Juan came ashore as a Category 1 storm, with winds up to 140 kilometres an hour, wreaking havoc as it tore across the province.