Women's soccer will be played on artificial turf, despite lawsuit
FIFA, soccer's world-governing organization, will not switch from artificial turf to grass for next year’s women’s World Cup in Canada.
Last week, a coalition of elite women players filed a lawsuit alleging that they are being discriminated against for having to play on artificial turf while the men get to play their games on grass.
- World Cup turf concerns prompt lawsuit from women's soccer coalition
- FIFA visit to Moncton stadium overshadowed by turf lawsuit
They say artificial turf changes how they play and can make them more susceptible to injury.
Tatjana Haenni, FIFA’s deputy director for women’s competitions, said Monday that it was clear from the beginning that the games would be played on artificial turf.
“We work with the Canadian Soccer Association intensively on what’s best to have same equal quality for all the stadiums, which was then decided it should be artificial turf in all six venues,” she said.
“Since then we work on that process and we never had any doubts we would change that.”
Haenni and Peter Montopoli, chief executive officer for the National Organizing Committee, were in Edmonton to perform a site inspection at Commonwealth Stadium.
Edmonton is one of six Canadian cities hosting matches next June and July.